I am an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I am registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and I am a clinical member of the Universities Psychotherapy and Counselling Association (UPCA). I also hold a European Certificate in Psychotherapy (ECP).
I am committed to anti-discriminatory and gay affirmative practise and I celebrate and support diversity in myself and others.
- I was the resident counsellor at Bon Homie House in Southampton from 1997 to 2017 – a residential care home for physically and mentally disabled adults. I counselled both residents and staff.
- I am the visiting resident mediator at the Family Contact Centre held at The Roberts Centre in Portsmouth.
- I have been involved in The Discovery Project, working with schools in Paulsgrove.
- I ran an ongoing men’s therapy group from Mar 1997 to Dec 2003 and I am currently contemplating writing a book entitled “Celebrating Manhood”.
- I taught Level 3 Certificate Courses in Counselling Skills at St. Vincent College in Gosport.
- I enjoy working with organisations and was a founder and tutor of The Centre for Gestalt in Organisations training programme.
Psychotherapist & Counsellor, Trainer & Supervisor
Qualifications and Courses
- BA (Hons) Degree in Psychology (Portsmouth Polytechnic) 1977
- One year training in Psychotherapy (Spectrum) 1991
- One year training in Counselling skills (Spectrum) 1992
- Interventions in Clinical practice (Spectrum) 1993
- Post Graduate Training Course in Psychotherapy (Spectrum) 1994 – 1998
- Foundation training in family mediation (F.M.A. Hove) 1998
- Diploma in Psychotherapy (Spectrum) 1999
- Certificate in Couples Training (Spectrum) 1999
- Certificate Course in Organisational Development and Occupational Consultancy (Whittington Hospital) 2000
- Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision, Consultancy and Team Support (Whittington Hospital) 2001
- Diploma in Organisational Development and Consultancy (Gestalt in Organisations) 2004
- Executive, Management and Business Coaching. (Dr Trevor Bentley) 2004
- 2010 CBT With Heart, (Adrian Hemmings, Hemfipsych) 2010
- Post Grad Diploma in Attachment Focussed Therapy. (Wimbledon Guild) 2015.
- I am registered with the UKCP – United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy.
- I am a Clinical member of the UPCA – University Psychotherapy & Counselling Association
- I was a founder member of Hants and Isle of Wight Family Mediators Association.
- I am a member of the BACP – British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- I am a member of the Directory of Pink Therapists.
- I was awarded the European Certificate of Psychotherapy in 2006
- Southampton Health Care Trust 1996 – In 1996 for 3 months I was part time locum counsellor at Ashurst Hospital working with physically disabled clients and their families, both in hospital and in their homes.
- Bon Homie House, Southampton 1996 to 2017. – I was the in-house counsellor at Bon Homie House, which is a residential care home for physically and mentally disabled adults. I was employed there one morning a week giving support to residents and staff.
- The Family Contact Centre at The Roberts Centre in Portsmouth. – I am the visiting in-house Mediator. My role is to support parents and to facilitate the smooth management of contact with their children.
Teaching – Level 3 Counselling Course
From January 1998 until 2018, I was employed by St. Vincent College, Gosport to teach the Level 3 Certificate Course in Counselling Skills and Development of Learning (120 hours duration). With my co-tutor, I ran 1-2 courses per year with up to 20 students on each. Over 200 students went through the training.
Founder Tutor – The Centre for Gestalt in Organisations
I am a founder tutor of The Centre for Gestalt in Organisations training programme.
Supervising Other Counsellors
- Off The Record 1993 to 1999.- Off the Record offer free counselling and befriending to people aged from 11 to 25. Off The Record counsellors are volunteers who have trained to at least RSA certificate level. I was asked to supervise 9 of their counsellors in groups of three, once per month.
- Moving On 1997 to 1999 – The Moving On project is a youth counselling service based in Gosport. I was approached by the project to become a supervisor to run two groups of three people per month.
- Portsmouth Area Rape Crisis Service.
- Mind Southampton 1994 to 1998
Personal Supervision and Support
- I was in regular professional supervision with Rex Bradley (Former vice chair of U.K.C.P.) since January 1992.
- Since 2008 I have consulted with Neil Harris, Dinah Ashcroft and Jim Jenkins as part of my ongoing personal and professional support and development.
- From 1998 until 2004 I was a member of an on-going Men’s Therapy Group at Spectrum.
- I was in individual therapy with Paul Allsop (Spectrum) from April 1992 until July 2000.
I have appeared on BBC Radio Solent, Radio 4, My TV, Express FM and Wave FM several times talking about (amongst other things):
- Stress management.
- Road rage.
- Standards and competence in counselling.
- Domestic violence.
- Stress in schools.
- Well Being in the Workplace.
FURTHER TRAINING & CPD
- Post Graduate Training 1994
- Post Traumatic Stress and Critical Incident Debriefing (Margaret Greaves P.N.H.P.C.) 1995
- Training day with Stanley Keleman (Centre for Energetic Studies – California) 1996
- Training day with Stanley Keleman (Centre for Energetic Studies – California) 1997
- Gestalt Training – A Foundation1995 to 2002
- On-going Post Graduate Course training in Psychotherapy (Spectrum)Anger Management Work 1996
- Anger in the Therapy Room (Spectrum) 1997
- Anger in the Therapy Room (Spectrum) 1998
- Anger Workshop (Spectrum)Family Mediation / Couples Work / Relationships 1994
- Introduction to Supervision skills (Sue Esau from ‘Relate’) 1995
- PAIRS (Practical Application of Intimate Relationship Skills) (Spectrum) 1995
- Foundation training in family mediation (F.M.A. Hove) 1998
- Working with Couples Training (Spectrum) 1999
- Working with Transference (Spectrum)Sexuality & Anti–discriminatory Practise 1996
- Working Affirmatively with Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual clients (Charles Neal) 1997
- Pride & Prejudice (Charles Neal)1998Men’s Basic Sexuality Programme (Spectrum) 1999
- Men’s Intermediate Sexuality Programme (Spectrum) 1999
- Working Affirmatively With Lesbian, Gay and Bi-sexual Clients (Charles Neal) 2000
- Working with Sexual Minorities (Charles Neal) 2000
- Prevention of Childhood Sexual Abuse (Spectrum) Professional Development 2004
- Advanced Gestalt Therapy (Joseph Zinker) 2005
- Figure/Ground of |Meaning and Emotions (Lynne Jacobs) 2005
- Advanced Couples Training (Joseph Zinker) 2005
- Creative Gestalt Experimentation (Joseph Zinker) 2006
- An Experience of Relational Gestalt (Gary Yontef) 2006
- Creative Experimentation and Phenomenology (Joseph Zinker) Community Activities 2007
- 2009 Attachment from Cradle to Grave, Linda Cundy, The Wimbledon Guild
- 2010 Attachment in the Consulting Room, Linda Cundy, The Wimbledon Guild
- 2010 CBT With Heart, Adrian Hemmings, Hemfipsych
- 2011 Attachment Masterclass, Linda Cundy The Wimbledon Guild
- 2011 Developing the relational artist in you. Rich Hycner
- 2011 BACP accreditation workshop
- 2011 Gestalt in organisations Centre4GIO
- 2012 Teaching clients to use Mindfulness skills. Grayrock/Stanton
- 2012 Gestalt in Organisations Centre 4 GIO
- 2012 Attachment and Psychopathology. Pat Crittenden, Tavistock Clinic.
- 2013 Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, Phill Russell & Paul Beadon, Rowans Hospice
- 2013 Therapists Attachment Style: You are the tool of your trade. David Wallin, Confer
- 2013 Attachment in Adult Life Una McCluskey
- 2013 Working with Borderline Personality Disorder. Wimbledon Guild
- 2013 PTSD from an Attachment Perspective. Felicity de Zuluetta.
- 2014 Exploring The Dynamics of Attachment in Adult Life. Una McCluskey
- 2014 Fear and Love in Supervision Robin Shoet
- 2014 Collusion and Collision: Therapist Attachment Style. David Wallin
- 2015 Managing Difficult Challenges in Supervision. Jenny Riddell, Psychotherapy UK.
- 2015 Attachment Security and the Couple Relationship. Madeleine Woof, TCCR.
- 2015 Post Grad Diploma in Attachment Focussed Therapy. Wimbledon Guild.
- 2016 Whole Intelligence Now Malcolm Parlett
- 2016 Attachment Narrative Therapy The Bowlby Centre
- 2017 Ethics, conduct and practice in psychotherapy in the 21st century BPS
- 2017 Future Sense Malcolm Parlett
- 2017 Money and therapy- issues for clients and therapists Tavistock Clinic
- 2017 Bridging the Worlds: Shamanism for therapeutic professionals. Christa Mackinnon Kandaris Training
- 2017 Exploratory Goal Corrected Psychotherapy Conference Una McCluskey
- 2017 Wild Therapy Nick Totton
- 2017 Working with Cancer Tavistock Clinic
- 2017 Transpersonal Narratives in Eco-Psychology Conference
- 2018 Attachment informed psychotherapy: an integrative neuro-science based model. Jeremy Holmes
- 2018 Shame matters. Bowlby Centre Conference.
- 2018 Insecure and disorganised Attachment Conference. Nscience
- 2018 Attachment, trauma and personality disorders. Gwen Adshead
- 2019 Couples and Attachment. Wimbledon Guild
- 2019 How to flourish as a psychotherapist Brett Kahr.
- 2019 Attachment and Relational Neuroscience informed Therapeutic Conversations. Jeremy Holmes and Graham Music
The Sustainability Centre
I am vice chair of The Sustainability Centre – www.sustainability-centre.org
I was the vice chair of the board of trustees at Hawkwood College – https://www.hawkwoodcollege.co.uk/.
Stand Up Comedy
I enjoy writing and performing stand up comedy. I run comedy events locally and nationally. To see my comedy CV please visit comedycv.co.uk/jefflane
I run Havant Music Club at The Wheelwrights Pub in Havant – https://www.wheelwrightshavant.co.uk/ – as well as organising other music events locally and nationally.
I cycled to Paris and back every year from 1998 until 2010 as part of the Hayling Island to Paris Bike Ride. Please visit www.hayling-cycle-ride.org.uk.
On this bike ride, I raised money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer – www.breakthrough.org.uk
Every year I spend a whole week working on a farm. I am also a keen allotment keeper and gardener.
I am also a non-religious celebrant. I perform ceremonies such as weddings, commitment ceremonies, baby namings and funerals.
Book of Jeff
I share my thoughts and writings at The Book of Jeff – www.thebookofjeff.co.uk